To my delight, there is a nice roster of green artists like: Andrew Bird
, Jack Johnson
, and more to be announced! With these guys on board, I caI can't wait for August 22nd!
And the artists aren't the only thing green about this festival. Here are the greening initiatives taken right from the festival's website
:Just a few generations ago, Golden Gate Park was nothing but sand dunes. Now that it’s become one of the most beautiful parks in the world, we need to take extra care to keep it clean. To help limit the festival’s impact on the park, the surrounding community, and the whole Bay Area, we will be taking the following steps. Whether by taking public transportation to the festival, recycling your bottles, or donating a dollar, we ask that you help out in any way you can. Keep checking back, as we’ll continue to add more elements and more details.
- Composting and Recycling
- Just about anything you can buy at Outside Lands will be either recyclable or compostable, and we’ll provide you with plenty of recycling and composting bins. Clean Vibes staff will be on-site to answer any questions about where to put your bottles, cups, food, plates, napkins, forks, and anything else you’re throwing away.
- The Outside Lands eco-village will feature a fully solar-powered stage, which will be hosting all kinds of activities throughout the day, including music, comedy, poetry, yoga classes, and more!
- Win prizes just for recycling! The Outside Lands Recycling Store will be stocked with items you can “buy” with empty bottles, cans, and biodegradable cups you pick up from around the festival grounds. Prizes will include concert tickets, festival merchandise, band merchandise, food and drinks, and much, much more!
- Bring your old cell phones to the Recycling Store for additional prizes! Most cell phones will be refurbished and redistributed throughout other countries. Phones that are damaged beyond repair will be recycled safely and without leaking toxic chemicals.
- When you buy your tickets, you’ll be given the option of donating $1 to help reforest Caliofrnia. These donations will go to the National Arbor Day Foundation, who will use it to reforest areas of California that were damaged by the recent wildfires. One dollar plants one tree in California’s damaged forestland.
- Offset your festival experience
- When you buy your tickets, you’ll be given the option of donating $1 to help ‘green’ your ticket. These donations will be used to purchase (and then retire) pollution credits on the Chicago Climate Exchange. By buying and then retiring these credits, we will directly prevent polluting companies from buying them and using them as a “right to pollute.”
- Biodiesel generators
- All generators used at Outside Lands will be fueled with a 20% mix of biodiesel, which reduces emissions of hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide.
- Outside Lands will partner with the SF Bicycle Coalition to provide bikers with a complimentary bike valet service, allowing them to park their bike safely at Golden Gate Park.
- Recycled paper and soy-based ink
- We will print all of our marketing materials and programs on recycled paper, using soy-based inks whenever possible.
- Organic festival merchandise
- We’ll offer a wide selection of organic festival merchandise, allowing you to be both trendy and conscious whenever you wear your Outside Lands shirt around town.
- Comprehensive online transportation guide
- We have provided an online guide for travelling by foot, bike, bus, muni, and BART from all parts of the bay area to Golden Gate Park to encourage the use of public transportation.
Labels: festivals, San Francisco, sarah