Thursday, July 31, 2008

 
posted by Sarah Krasley @ 8:24 PM
I can't help it, but I tend to fall on the side of skepticism when I hear of a huge corporation putting out a "green" product. More often than not it involves a little improvement and doesn't really push the envelope...so when I read that Anheuser-Busch is "pouring 5 million green beers next year", I held back the urge to yawn...but I'm glad I did. Turns out the massive brewer is doing something pretty interesting.

From Environmental Leader:

"The company is currently installing alternative energy technology at its Houston and Fairfield breweries, which will be operational by year end. Once completed 10 out 12 Anheuser-Busch breweries in the U.S. will be powered by alternative energy.

The Fairfield brewery will generate 15 percent of its fuel needs from a bio-energy recovery system, which turns brewing wastewater into fuel. Three percent of the brewery’s electricity needs will be generated on-site through solar panels."


These are the kinds of stories that point to a nice marriage of sustainable business with innovation--using a bi-product of the product to power the equipment to make the beer?! Yes!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home