Wednesday, April 25, 2007

 
posted by Sarah Krasley @ 9:33 PM
OK. Time to decode some renewable energy geek talk for you: a renewable energy portfolio standard is usually declared by a United States governor or a state agency that oversees environmental affairs for the state. You'll hear a politician say something like "By 2020, 20% of the energy used in the great state of XYZ will come from renewable sources like wind power or solar power!" on TV with a zillion smiling environmentalists in the background of the shot.

You normally don't hear much about it after that---unless you read geeky renewable energy publications like my personal favorite, Wind Energy Weekly. I <3 Wind Energy Weekly....but I digress....

I monitor my utility's progress with the state RPS when I get my bill from my power company telling me what resources were used to make the power I use in my apartment. As I glance at the pie chart in the bill insert, I often remark "Hm! Not quite there yet, are you?! You better get moving, the RPS is coming for you in three short years." which prompts my roommate to smile patiently at me across the table.

Here is a map of the U.S. with all the current renewable portfolio standards from the Pew Center for Global Climate Change



Pretty cool, eh? I'm proud to say that all three states I've called home at one time or another have renewable portfolio standards. To further this great movement in the US, the people at Wind Energy Works! put together a website for people to get involved and urge their congress people to support a national renewable portfolio standard. Check out the webpage here and take action. In addition, Wind Energy Works! is an awesome resource for good arguments for the dinner table on why renewable energy is such an important thing to support. But you don't have to take my word for it!


Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home